National Careers Week is an initiative of the Career Industry Council of Australia and aims to celebrate careers, career development, career development services, and career development practitioners and to promote the economic, social and personal benefits of career development.
Career development is a process of managing learning, work and leisure to progress through life. It includes gaining and using the skills and knowledge needed to plan and make informed decisions about education, training, and work. Everyday decisions and priorities affect career development. Ultimately, career development is about much more than jobs – it is about how to live your life.
The objectives of National Careers Week are to:
- Develop community awareness of the concept, benefit, and value of career development.
- Raise aspirations, challenge stereotypes, and broaden horizons about careers.
- Highlight the need for ongoing reskilling and upskilling to support careers throughout life.
- Identify the changing nature of work and its impact on all Australians.
- Showcase industries and the career opportunities available in them.
- Provide opportunities to partner with key stakeholders.